Skin needling, or derma rolling, is a popular but minimally invasive medical procedure that uses a device with fine needles to puncture the epidermis and create small wounds or microchannels on the face.
Its goal is to promote new collagen formation, stimulate the production of new cells and increase blood flow to the area, which may smooth out your skin for a brighter, more youthful appearance and remove fine lines, wrinkles, and scars. It can be also used to treat such issues as acne scars, cellulite, chicken pox scars, and stretch marks. This procedure is sometimes known as collagen induction therapy (CIT).
After 3 weeks of going through the process, new collagen is formed, which results in more elastic and smoother skin. However, it is not recommended to be done more often than once a month as this can actually weaken our epidermis if done too often.
Benefits of Skin Needling
In short, such medical therapy has a lot of advantages:
- There is a reduced risk of hyperpigmentation with skin needling than with more invasive procedures;
- Quick and easy therapy to undergo, and the results are immediate and long-lasting;
- Tightens facial muscles that cause wrinkles and sagging skin;
- Stimulates the production of collagen;
- Thoroughly exfoliates dead skin cells and accelerates cell turnover rate;
- Leads to reduced pore size and oiliness;
- Lessens inflammation and promotes better blood flow.
How Is Skin Needling Carried Out?
The skin needling process involves a special, hand-held device such as Dermaroller, or Derma-Stamp that delivers small, shallow needles into the top layer of skin. Their sharpness determines how deep it can penetrate the skin and how many passes are required to achieve the desired results.
The procedure is usually carried out by a board-certified dermatologist. The process takes less than an hour and causes minimal discomfort. In order to relieve pain during treatments and any discomfort afterward, patients may receive topical numbing cream or injection of an anesthetic. However, it is not required. Upon completion, these channels will initiate healing processes that will lead to improved collagen production and density, with visible improvements in fine lines after just a few treatments.